From Green Country to cougar country
Overalls worn where serape styling reigns
Corn-fed meets cactus blossoms
Where regret is rare as rain
A cairn here, a cairn there
This trail leads to God-knows-where
Ascent in red sand and flint
Pinyons pock the landscape
Weathered crones, cruelly bent
There’s something magic
In that perfumed air
I’d tell you what,
You greenhorn,
But I know you wouldn’t care
Just lizards
and rocks
and spirits
deathly close
everywhere
Two tired legs later
Two widened eyes agape
Elevation---and the breath is gone
Consideration---and the hate
And the vista steals the soul
Like vapor in the desert wind
I march to Chupadera
Who knows the time
Before I cut this way again
I’ve heeded Abbey,
With his monkey-wrenching ways
And considered the Scotsman Muir,
With his ever-reaching gaze.
So I’ll take a snapshot
Right between eyes
Where the Rio Grande slithers
into the Chihuahuan, winedark skies
I know Glen Canyon’s buggered
And I know the redwoods sawn
I’ve seen the miles of headlights
Slashing yellow through the dawn
This highway,
Black and tarmacked
Old New Mexico 25
Like a bullsnake with temper
Offers far too much to drive
Seal her off
Shut the curtains
Put some signs amid the lane
For the Bosque is fine without her
Without the traffic
And the rain
The Rio is the only highway
That the Sandhills need to thrive
Man’s intrusion
Labeled progress
Only serves to spread the lies

No comments:
Post a Comment