
Kansas doe taken in the early antlerless season

Oklahoma 7 pt. (3x4) buck

Oklahoma doe
Oklahoma Bobcat
Sad to say, I've already almost eaten/given away most of the meat. I think I have three packages of trim left--that is all! I have really, really enjoyed cooking this year. Notably, Hank Shaw's Hunter-Angler-Gardener-Cook Blog and The L.L. Bean Game & Fish Cookbook (Angus Cameron and Judith Jones) have really helped me step up my game in the kitchen.
Exhibit A:

Venison backstrap seared in cast iron with Cumberland sauce

Canadian Goose breast seared in cast iron with Cumberland sauce

Venison shoulder, spice-rubbed and mesquite-smoked

Venison roast, braised in stock and port
Needless to say, I haven't been starving. However, as spring draws near on the horizon I am a little sad to see the bounty of fall lapse so quickly. We all know that spring is the season on growth and opportunity, but that concept is different for a hunter. Though I enjoy fishing, foraging, and gardening more than most, these opportunities are bittersweet. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to spring. Winter in northern Kansas has been exceptionally harsh this year. I've experienced my personal lowest temperature (-15 F), largest ice accumulation (1"+), and largest amount of snow (13") this year. Good gracious! Once again, the snow is supposed to come again today. So, I'm inside doing my mindless trivialities (organizing tackle boxes, cleaning guns, etc) and dreaming of the days afield that are to come.
One of my accomplishments today is to come up with a series of goals for this spring. Unlike goals most people set (lose weight, quit smoking, save money, etc) I am actually looking forward to accomplishing these:
1. Catch a walleye, any walleye.
2. Catch a largemouth over 4 lbs (it has been a long drought).
3. Harvest a turkey (it has been a long drought).
4. Take a squirrel with my revolver.
5. Make Brunswick Stew with squirrel.
6. Find three new edible plants within 40 miles of my residence.
7. Find a secret spot where morel mushrooms grow.
8. Get a truly awesome photo on my trail camera.
9.Film something truly awesome on the Go-Pro.
10. Hike Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve.
As I accomplish (or fail to accomplish) each of these goals I'll update this blog to give everyone the back-story. Watch this space!
No comments:
Post a Comment