A few weeks ago I came across an opportunity to divest
myself from my disposable income in my favorite fashion. That, of course, means
that I was going to buy a gun. However, I wanted to do more than simply buy a
gun. Being what has been termed a rifle
loony, I would only be satisfied by building the perfect niche gun. For
this iteration, I had settled on building a modern version of the classic Rook
Rifle.
Concept. For
those unfamiliar, a *Rook Rifle was a British arm of moderate caliber intended
for shooting small game and vermin. The archetypical Rook Rifle was a single
shot (often a Martini design, but not necessarily) with excellent handling
characteristics, a mild report, and a weight that was a joy to carry
afield. Historic Rook Rifles range
from the proletarian, to the jaw-droppingly
beautiful. When I originally made the decision to build a Rook Rifle, I
thought that I was quite clever and probably the only person in modern times to
pursue such a notion. I was
unequivocally wrong. Furthermore, one could also claim that the British
Rook Rifle has now morphed into the broader category of the Walking Varmint
Rifle.
* Writer’s Note: a rook is the British equivalent of
a crow or raven. If you are of Scots ancestry, you would call it a corbie.
Foundation. As a
lover of single-shots, I was beholden to the Rook Rifle tradition. Single-shots
provide a shorter overall length, enormous strength, excellent handling
characteristics, and a variety of chambering options. In order to simplify the
build process (and to satisfy a long-held lust) I opted for one of the
Thompson-Center (T/C) break-open designs. This means one of two receivers: the
Contender or Encore. The Contender is a more petite frame, with better trigger
potential, but can only handle moderate pressure cartridges. The Encore is
larger, with a trigger that is less easily improved, but can handle higher-pressure
rounds. Truth be told, either frame would suffice for this project because of
typically low-pressure rounds utilized. However, I happened to find an Encore
Pro Hunter frame at an excellent price on Gunbroker and purchased it for
economic purposes. In total, this saved me about $120 off the cost of the
Contender frame, which could be applied to the barrel. The factory furniture
that I received with the Pro Hunter frame was black injection-molded. The
forend has rubber finger groove inlays for traction and the buttstock has
internal recoil dampeners built in and a very soft recoil pad. For the purposes
of this build the recoil countermeasures were moot. Generally speaking, the
furniture is utilitarian and not particularly aesthetically pleasing. It is
weather-proof, but will likely be replaced with walnut sometime in the future.
Thompson Center Pro Hunter Frame
Cartridge and Loads.
Original Rook Rifle cartridges are all practically
obsolete. I suspect that one could not find factory brass for a single one.
Luckily, there is a plethora of suitable cartridges existent today (some still
very old). In pondering cartridges for this project, I decided that my
priorities would be (1) suitable small-game performance up to 150 yards, (2)
availability of reloading dies and components, (3) cost of reloading dies and
components, (4) mildness of report and recoil, and finally (5) pedigree /
intangible coolness factor.
The short list that I developed is included below. Included for each cartridge is an example of a factory loading, cost per box (source Midway USA), and advertised external ballistics.
The short list that I developed is included below. Included for each cartridge is an example of a factory loading, cost per box (source Midway USA), and advertised external ballistics.
.17 Hornet
Load: Hornady Superformance, 20 gr. VMAX
Advertised Velocity: 3,650 FPS
Cost: $18.79 (per 25, $0.75 per round)
.17 Remington
Fireball
Load: Remington Premier Varmint, 20 gr. Accutip
Advertised Velocity: 4,000 FPS
Cost: $29.99 (per 20, $1.50 per round)
.22 Hornet
Load: Hornady Varmint Express, 35 gr. VMAX
Advertised Velocity: 3,100 FPS
Cost: $18.29 (per 25,
$0.73 per round)
.25-20 Winchester
Load: Winchester Super-X, 86 gr. SP
Advertised Velocity: 1,460 FPS
Cost: $65.99 (per 50, $1.32 per round)
.25-35 Winchester
Load: Winchester Super-X, 117 gr. SP
Advertised Velocity: 2,230 FPS
Cost: $48.99 (per 20, $2.45 per round)
.32 H&R / .327
Federal Magnum
Load: Federal American Eagle, 85 gr. JSP
Advertised Velocity: 1,400 FPS
Cost: $26.49 (per 50, $0.53 per round)
.38 SPL / .357
Remington Magnum / .357 Max
Load: Remington UMC, 125 gr. JSP
Advertised Velocity: 1,450 FPS
Cost: $29.49 (per 50, $0.59 per round)
.44 SPL / .44
Remington Magnum
Load: Remington UMC, 180 gr. JSP
Advertised Velocity: 1,610 FPS
Cost: $41.99 (per 50, $0.84 per round)
Ultimately, I had to consider the availability of factory
ammunition as well. My final decision was a derivative of the .22 Hornet
cartridge, the .22
K-Hornet. This cartridge was developed by Lysle Kilbourn in 1940. Factory
.22 Hornet loads can be fired in the .22 K-Hornet with a slight loss in
velocity. However, this process effectively fireforms the brass, which
simplifies the reloading process. Like other improved cartridges, the .22
K-Hornet has a characteristic steep shoulder and increases the powder capacity
when compared to the parent case. This translates into increased velocity
potential. For instance, the 9th Edition of the Hornady Handbook of
Cartridge Reloading shows the highest velocity charge listed for the Hornet
pushing a 35 gr. VMAX as 3,100 FPS. With the K-Hornet, the same velocity can be
attained with the 40 gr. VMAX. However, my intent in selecting the K-Hornet was
not to push the velocity envelope, but rather to increase the longevity of
brass life. The parent Hornet case is notorious for stretching the neck of the
cartridge, which requires frequent trimming and frequent brass replacement. The
40°
shoulder and decreased body taper of the K-Hornet derivative increases brass
life and minimizes required trimming.
As previously mentioned, this cartridge selection was not
based on attaining maximum velocity. As such, moderate loads will likely be
used. Typically, cartridges in the .22 K-Hornet class are loaded with highly
frangible bullets suitable for high velocity and explosive fragmentation on
non-edible species. For shooting prairie dogs in open country this is perfect
as it immediately terminates the animal upon impact and reduces the possibility
of ricochet. However, I am a consummate small game eater and prefer intact
carcasses for proper butchering. This necessitates heavy-for-caliber bullets,
thicker bullet jackets, and more moderate velocities. Although I have not had
the opportunity to reload for the .22 K-Hornet yet, I have already purchased
dies and a few of the Hornady bullet #2245, a 50 gr. soft point varmint bullet
with a thicker jacket. A similar bullet (#2240) is of identical weight but is
constructed with a much thinner jacket to facilitate fragmentation. According to the Hornady manual, this
bullet can be pushed to 2,700 FPS in the K-Hornet. However, I believe that I
will keep it between 2,200-2,500 FPS (depending on what the rifle favors). I
suspect that this will minimize meat damage and will be a boon while hunting
game at the end of the medium-size spectrum (turkey, bobcat, javelina, and
coyotes).
Bullet #2245 has a G1 ballistic coefficient of 0.214, which
is relatively poor. Assuming a 25 yard zero, a sight height of 0.5” above the
center of the bore, and a muzzle velocity of 2,300 FPS we receive the following
trajectories via JBM Ballistics Calculator:
Calculated Table
|
||||||||||
Range
|
Drop
|
Drop
|
Windage
|
Windage
|
Velocity
|
Mach
|
Energy
|
Time
|
Lead
|
Lead
|
(yd)
|
(in)
|
(MOA)
|
(in)
|
(MOA)
|
(ft/s)
|
(none)
|
(ft•lbs)
|
(s)
|
(in)
|
(MOA)
|
0
|
-0.5
|
***
|
0.0
|
***
|
2300.0
|
2.060
|
587.2
|
0.000
|
0.0
|
***
|
25
|
0.0
|
0.0
|
0.1
|
0.5
|
2202.7
|
1.973
|
538.6
|
0.033
|
5.9
|
22.4
|
50
|
0.1
|
0.1
|
0.5
|
1.0
|
2107.8
|
1.888
|
493.1
|
0.068
|
12.0
|
22.9
|
75
|
-0.4
|
-0.5
|
1.2
|
1.5
|
2015.2
|
1.805
|
450.8
|
0.105
|
18.4
|
23.4
|
100
|
-1.4
|
-1.3
|
2.1
|
2.0
|
1925.1
|
1.724
|
411.4
|
0.143
|
25.1
|
24.0
|
125
|
-2.9
|
-2.2
|
3.4
|
2.6
|
1837.5
|
1.646
|
374.8
|
0.182
|
32.1
|
24.5
|
150
|
-5.1
|
-3.3
|
5.0
|
3.2
|
1752.7
|
1.570
|
341.0
|
0.224
|
39.5
|
25.1
|
175
|
-8.0
|
-4.4
|
7.0
|
3.8
|
1670.9
|
1.497
|
309.9
|
0.268
|
47.2
|
25.7
|
200
|
-11.7
|
-5.6
|
9.4
|
4.5
|
1592.2
|
1.426
|
281.4
|
0.314
|
55.3
|
26.4
|
This configuration works perfectly for a 150 yard small game
cartridge.
Barrel. You might
think that few rifles are chambered in .22 K-Hornet and you would be correct.
However, there are a number of custom barrel makers for T/C Contender and
Encore that do offer this chambering. One of the benefits of these rifles is
that their barrels are easily swapped, thereby changing calibers. Barrel makers
such as Bulberry, MGM, and SSK Industries all offer the .22 K-Hornet cartridge.
I opted to go with SSK Industries for no particular reason.
To be honest, Bulberry seemed to be overly variable in the barrel prices based
on caliber and I wasn’t certain that MGM would be able to install a ramped
front sight on their barrel (they are, but more on that later). SSK Industries,
owned by JD Jones, has a long history of Contender and Encore work. In addition, JD has been on the
forefront of cartridge development. His work includes creation of the .300
Whisper (the predecessor to the .300 AAC Blackout) and the JDJ series of
cartridges. Notably, the .375 JDJ has long been held to be THE big game hunting
cartridge for the Contender platform. After exchanging email with JD I decided
that he would be my barrel-maker and I provided him with the following
specifications:
Chamber: .22 K-Hornet
Profile: Same as factory Pro Hunter (.810”)
Length: 16”
Additions: Ramped front sight with 1/16” bead
Rate of Twist: 1 in 12”
These specifications are in keeping with the Rook Rifle
concept. When applied to the Encore frame, this barrel would yield a relatively
light, handy carbine with iron sights. You’ll notice that I did not ask JD to
install a rear sight. That’s because I already had designs on the excellent
Skinner aperture rear sight for T/C rifles. This sight, which is mounted on the
factory-spaced scope mount holes, maximizes the sight radius for a
short-barreled carbine. In addition, the aperture design is flexible;
additional apertures of differing diameters can be ordered. By varying the
aperture diameter one can let in more or less light as appropriate for the
application.
Intended Quarry. The
sad truth of the American hunting scene is that the good old days of knocking
on a farmer’s door and getting permission to big game hunt are coming to an
end. Land access is the #1 challenge that hunters face. Although hunter numbers
in recent years have declined, a deluge of next-generation hunters (the
so-called “Hipster
Hunters”) will likely exacerbate access issues. However, hunting needs all
the advocates that it can get. These days, if you want big game access you
either have to buy land outright, lease land, or hunt public land. Worse yet,
public land is fraught with its own challenges. Belligerent or dangerous
hunters on public land is often a sad reality. What is worse, each
Congressional session threatens to sell-off the already limited public hunting
land. What’s a man to do? Eat squirrel.
No, seriously! Small game opportunities still exist where
big game hunting opportunities do not. Landowners don’t often expect to be paid
for small game access, so prime real estate is often within reach. Despite
being often overlooked as table fare, small game is also delicious. Preparations
for small game are widely available and the general difficulty is low.
Regardless of where you are located, prime small game hunting is likely only a
short drive away. My experience hunting in Oklahoma and Kansas has been that
squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, predator, and wild turkey hunting provides hours of
entertainment without the pressures associated with whitetail deer hunting.
Double-Battered, Fried Squirrel is only Missing White Gravy
One of the reasons that I selected the .22 K-Hornet over the
.17 Hornet (another .22 Hornet stepchild) is that the variety of .224” diameter
projectiles offers much more flexibility. The lightest projectiles (such as the
Hornady 35 gr VMAX, Barnes 30 gr. Varmint Grenade, and Calhoon 30 gr. Double
HP) are perfect for non-edible rodent and vermin control. Yet, the option
exists to shoot up to 55 gr. projectiles (perhaps heavier) that could be used
for small deer-sized game in a pinch. I do not and will not advocate hunting
deer with .22 caliber rifles, but shorter premium bullets (read as: non-tipped,
non-homogenous) make it a possibility in the .22 K-Hornet. As I have previously
noted, mid-range bullets such as the 50 gr. Hornady SP split the difference—you
have the weight for larger quarry and the slightly controlled expansion does not
render small game inedible.
Conclusion. At
this time I am still waiting on my SSK Industries barrel, but I expect it to
arrive within the week. That’s why this is Rook Rifle Project Part 1! In the
next article I hope to offer up some eye-candy photos and to give my initial
impressions on not only the rifle’s accuracy, but how well it fills the Rook
Rifle niche.





No comments:
Post a Comment